Nutrition Practice Laws, Memberships, Fellowships, & Certifications
BOARD CERTIFICATION PATHWAYS
The following information is to provide guidance on board certification and licensure pathways. Certification and licensure boards reserve and hold the right and final decision on eligibility. Additional requirements may and will apply for certification and licensure boards. Students, both US and international, must review and comply with their city, county, municipality, province, township, state, local, district, federal and state laws, and rules on scope of services permitted and business operations.
The American Naturopathic Medical Association provides laws, statutes and scope of services in Naturopathy and the health care profession. It emphasizes prevention, support, and optimal health through the use of all natural, non-invasive therapies and natural substances that encourage an individuals’ inherent self-healing process.
The Council of Holistic Health Educators has a Law and Policy section that provides helpful information to nutritional health practitioners on understanding the different types of laws and how they impact the ability to practice per state.
The National Health Freedom Coalition provides updates on Safe Harbor Laws. Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Rhode Island provide Safe Harbor Exemption bills that protect access to health care practitioners who do not hold state occupational licenses and are currently practicing within areas which fall under these exemptions and that do not rise to the level of concern requiring state oversight, certification, registration, or licensure in the public domain.
- American Society of Nutrition
- Canadian Nutrition Society – Societe Canadienne de Nutrition
- Dual Membership to the American Society of Nutrition and Canadian Nutrition Society
- Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior
- American Society of Paternal and Enteral Nutrition
- School Nutrition Association
- American Nutrition Association
- The Nutrition Society
- British Nutrition Foundation
- World Public Health Nutrition Association
- International Society of Sports Nutrition
- International Society of Nutritional Psychiatry
- Academy of Eating Disorders
- International Association of Eating Disorders
- International Society of Nutrigenetics/Nutrigenomics (ISNN)
- National Association of Nutrition Professionals
- American Holistic Health Association
- American Council on Exercise Fitness Nutrition (for NCCA Accredited-certified practitioners)
- American Council for Exercise Health Coach (NCCA Accredited)
- National Board of Physician Nutrition Specialists
- Nutrition Oncology – Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- School Nutrition Specialist
- Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists (NCCA Accredited)
- Certifying Board for Dietary Managers (NCCA Accredited)
- Clinical Nutrition Certification Board